With summer almost ending, I decided it was time to sport some color on my pout. The best bright red I’ve found with an intensity that’s on the verge of being neon, but so not. It’s Tulipe by Chantecaille. You can find it at most high end department stores and boutiques. I like the quote from Sophia Vergara, “Unless you’re 19, or Giselle, you need some color on your lips,” or something like that. Stella gives her paws of approval.
It’s travel season, and what do women need more than a good travel organizer or make-up bag? I’m not sure. It’s always on my list of things I need to find, i.e. a better one than I’ve got. I’m usually using some freebie I got with my last “gift with purchase,” ugly but functions. And then I came across this…
Sound the horns, I can officially stop hunting. I found the perfect zippered pouch. It’s crafted by Meredith Bridges in Atlanta. Not in Georgia? Not to fret, you can find her well crafted goods on etsy.
Why is it so awesome? Let me count the ways. At 9″ long, it’s roomy enough for all my makeup brushes, so they don’t get crushed. And a good 4″ wide I can fit my large Bobbi Brown bronzer, Voluminous mascara, Nars multiple, and all the lip shimmers I need, plus it fits the kinda big Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer I wear daily (with SPF)!
At $75 it’s not a “bargain” but it’s as cute as it is durable thanks to industrial strength nylon threading and heavy-duty brass zipper.
Keep your musts on hand in your purse or in your suitcase. I can officially stop looking, I just want another one now.
When I don’t have time (daily) to agonize over my makeup, this is my fast makeup ritual. You really can do all of this in just 5 minutes.
Here’s how to makeup your face in just 5 minutes!
Time saving tip: use your fingers to blend and apply creamy products. When you’re not fussing over tools, you can speed up the application process too.
- I start with a clean face, then apply a generous dollop of Laura Mercier’s tinted moisturizer in Sand.
- If I’m feeling particularly fair, I’ll add a little of Nars’ orgasm illuminator in orgasm or laguna for a fresh flush.
- Nars’ blush powder in orgasm is a fave too, especially with the Nars Yachio brush. It’s light in the hand, and doesn’t grab too much pigment so you don’t end up looking like you put your makeup on without your contacts!
- I’ll dab a little of the CHANEL Fantasme longwear eye base with shimmer,
- then apply a hefty coating of thick black mascara (my drugstore fave is Voluminous by L’Oreal).
- I usually do my eyebrows last, a couple of quick fill lines with my CHANEL pencil in brun natural, then smudge them with the brush end so they don’t look too perfect.
- Just before I’m complete I apply a couple of quick clicks of YSL’s Touche éclat under my eyes, in the creases of my nose, and around my lips to “brighten” up.
- A nice sheen of a universally flattering lip glacé in Rose Hips by Laura Mercier is my final touch. You can set your look with pressed powder, or if you prefer a dewy look, skip it.
- And presto, my face is done!
For a list of all my favorites, check out my list on pinterest too.
Everyday I do a couple of things before I head out the door. For one I brush my teeth and tousle my hair with a little product. And aside from putting a few items of clothes on my body as to make sure I am never called a nudist, I also dabble a little of this on my eyes. I swear if there’s only ONE item I could have, it’d be this: CHANEL’s ILLUSION D’OMBRE, LONG WEAR LUMINOUS EYESHADOW for a mere $36.00. Ok so it’s no drugstore find, but OMG is it ever worth it, and it lasts a good long while because all you need is a touch of this mega-dose of shimmer.
Sure some would swear on their La Mer moisturizer or red Tom Ford lipstick, but this is the golden egg in my makeup bag. When I’m rushing I just use this on my lids, add a little mascara, and a little blush on the cheeks and then call it a day.
What’s your must have makeup item? Tell me!
Huge for fall, and still an obsession, finding the perfect “red” shade of lipstick. I’ve got a bit yellowish skin, and a bit darker say than the pale-bunch, so I love the coral families of color. It’s not completely unusual to find moisturizing matte lipcolor, but this one by Bobbi Brown does the trick.
It’s got the perfect amount of staying power, with a fairly good “smoothability” rating. Seduced by the counters at Neiman Marcus (of course) I had to try the loudest red-orange shade of the bunch: Jenna. It was total love at fist application. Soft but lasted through at least three iced tea refills at the afore mentioned cafe. How much? $24. SOLD!
Who spends $30 on mascara when L’Oréal’s Voluminous Volume Building Mascara (go for carbon black), a perennial fave among makeup artists, is less than $8 at in drugstores? It’ll add up to super-thick lashes with major volume. I get excited when a new glamourous and expensive new mascara hits the market, but I keep going back to it as my favorite. Why fix what isn’t broke?
Even Bazaar Magazine rates the Voluminous in their top 10.
Why we love it: There have been numerous additions to the Voluminous line of mascaras, but the original is still the best for creating a feathery soft effect, thanks to the blend of nourishing vitamins and ceramides in the tube.
L’Oreal Voluminous Volume Building Mascara, $8, lorealparisusa.com.